Pages

Thursday, February 1, 2018

Shopping my closet

There was a time that every vacation we took or event we were going to meant that I needed to go shopping for new clothes. I don’t know why that was the case but I do recall following fashion blogs that never repeated an outfit and I just felt like I needed to do the same. It wasn’t realistic and absolutely unnecessary but try telling me that a few years ago. In 2015, when my mom passed away, I got a bit of a wakeup call and I realized just how ridiculous a lot of my practices were. I didn’t want to be that person; I knew I couldn't be that person. So following that realization I made it that with every event, I would first shop my closet before purchasing anything. Yes, this isn’t some new idea but when you've ignored this practice for quite some time it kinda became one. I’m not saying that I don’t shop anymore for new clothes or shoes (let's be real), I’m saying it is a lot less than it use to be. I’m not just picking up new items to pick up new items. Instead I'm now choosing pieces that I know are basics, will get a lot of use from me, and won’t just sit in my closet and collect dust. I’m really glad to say that impulse shopping is no longer a part of who I am.

One of my favorite quotes years ago was, "I like my money right where I can see it, in my closet."
This quote couldn't be further from the truth now.

I thought it would be fun (maybe just to me, lol) to go through my posts to see where I repeated items of clothes in the last few years. Granted, I don’t take a picture of everything I wear but it was great to see that even with knowing that, I still wore the same pieces of clothing repeatedly. And interesting enough, I didn't even share every time I wore the same items on the blog in this post.

White dress:
Worn in Vegas, San Diego, Fort Launderdale

IMG_2412 IMG_7303 IMG_4659

Denim jacket: I'm aware that this isn't revolutionary but I use to feel that I needed more than one denim jacket. I purchased this one in 2012, donated/gave the remaining denim jackets to my sisters and have not purchased a new one in years.

IMG_5864 IMG_6083

IMG_2222

IMG_6636
IMG_5656

Striped maxi dress as seen above (which I practically wear weekly for work):

IMG_7760

Gray jeans, olive green utility jacket, striped top & blackish sweater:

IMG_4123 IMG_0392 IMG_2322

Black dress and leopard booties also seen below:

leopard
IMG_1860

IMG_8414 IMG_1713

Cream sweater (which I'm sad to report Sean ruined by washing with colors a few weekends ago, ugh!):

IMG_4095

IMG_0032 IMG_1770

Multicolored dress:
Worn at my mom's going away, two weddings and my nephew's dedication

IMG_0533 IMG_6364 IMG_4364

IMG_1014

Blue jacket, black dress and leopard booties which are also seen above:

IMG_1291 thumbnail_IMG_3715 IMG_0852

White shorts, floral top and blue top:
Worn in Fort Launderdale, Vegas and New Orleans

IMG_7765 IMG_4586 IMG_9917

IMG_4862

Orange flats, striped over the shoulder top and apparently my most favorite blue jeans:
Worn during a farmer's market run, in Vegas and for a weekend brunch

IMG_4728 IMG_9803 IMG_7430

White over the shoulder top:
Worn for weekend brunches and at a music festival

IMG_7902 IMG_7489 IMG_7113

Purple over the shoulder top (and surprise, surprise, those jeans):

IMG_9376 IMG_5892 IMG_8680

IMG_8573

Teal romper:

IMG_8072 IMG_3785 IMG_6821

Yellow top (green utility jacket here too):
Worn in NYC, Vegas and for date night in PA

thumbnail_IMG_4816IMG_9767IMG_0988

Yellow maxi dress:
Worn in NYC & New Orleans

IMG_9563 IMG_7633

Red off the shoulder top:
Worn in Vegas, Atlantic City, New Orleans, Chicago and a date night in PA

IMG_9868 IMG_6855 IMG_0388

thumbnail_IMG_4291 IMG_2138

White off the shoulder top:
Worn in NYC and New Orleans

IMG_9604
thumbnail_IMG_4327

Pink jumpsuit:
Worn in New Orleans, Fort Lauderdale and a date night in PA

IMG_8002 thumbnail_IMG_4085 IMG_4635

Multi-colored jumpsuit:
Worn in New Orleans, DC & Mexico

IMG_7857 thumbnail_IMG_3715 IMG_3100

Boho dress:
Worn at my sister's wedding reception, a music festival in PA, in Vegas and to my nephew's graduation

IMG_7133 IMG_0051 IMG_2250

IMG_0380

Cream dress:
Worn at my sister's graduation and brunch here in PA

IMG_7010 IMG_0169

Cream flowy top:

IMG_1884 IMG_8905 IMG_7336

My old self of not trying to repeat outfits was braggy & unrealistic and I’m relieved (my pockets too!) that I’ve passed that stage. It was actually fun for me to see that I sometimes switched up the look but many times just repeated the exact look. It's nice to know that not repeating an outfit is no longer a priority to me and a little disappointing that it once was a priority.

5 comments:

  1. The funny thing is - I've been following your blog for literally years and never once NOTICED or thought that I've seen you wear the same thing in your photos. LOL I'm fairly unobservant when it comes to that sort of thing.

    I'm the same way though. I have a variety, but I tend to go back to my favorites time and time again. Sometimes I buy a new top here and there, just to spruce up my wardrobe or if something has been washed a few too many times and now looks like crap.

    BTW I want your jean jacket. I've never been able to find one that didn't make me look like a line backer (I have broad shoulders). This post was a lot of fun. I love your style (and your smile... that's cheesy, but it's true HA)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be the same way! My closet and dresser drawers were ridiculous, and so many of my purchases were worn literally one time, and then just took up space.
    I love each look! Each piece looks different every time based on how you accessorized it. And those leopard booties are ah-may-zing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post and the growth you’ve experienced since your mum’s passing! Losing a loved one really puts things into perspective! She would be sooo proud of you! Something tells me she didn’t waste a cent! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That used to be me. When it was time for a trip it was time to shop, but like you, I'm over it! The important thing is you look and feel good in your outfits. I definitely have my go to travel clothes. Those are the times that I'm taking the most pics, and I like to take my favorite things so it might seem like I wear the same thing over and over again, but oh well!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!