Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Priorities: Family & Friends

IMG_3945

“Life is too short to be vengeful or malicious. Life is not lost by dying; life is lost minute by minute, day by dragging day, in all the thousand small uncaring ways. Live every day as if it were going to be your last; for one day you're sure to be right. Don't be fooled by the calendar”.

I believe I’ve always been family and friend oriented. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that growing up I only had my mom, dad and sisters. Unfortunately, I did not grow up with cousins, aunts, grandmas, etc, as they were/are all in Ghana. The thing is that after my mom’s death in 2015 it amped up my desire to be even more family and friend oriented. When you lose someone that is extremely close to you, you realize just how short life really is. Never in a million years did I think that my mom would be gone at 64. I always pictured her growing old and being the cutest old lady ever. I truly saw her reaching 100 years old. Her being gone was not part of the plan and it was then that I really became aware just how quickly anyone I love could be taken.

I use to be so proud to say that I’d rather text vs. talk on the phone. Well, now that I can’t talk to my mom anymore, I crave her phone calls and would do anything to hear her voice again. I realized that right now I can actually speak to my friends and family over the phone, so why am I not doing it? What is my excuse? Why am I not making every opportunity to take a few minutes out of my day to speak to a love one over the phone when I can?! A text is fine, sure, but it will never be as personal as a phone call. After my mom’s death, I decided to make it a priority to set time aside to talk on the phone with friends and family.

I’ve made it a priority to plan more opportunities for us to all be together. Taking it farther than just getting together for birthday parties. Instead intentionally setting time aside to plan random days to spend time together. Even if it means that we have to plan way far in advance. I want us all to remember the smiles, laughs, conversations and even the fights that were not even important. I want to make the type of memories that roll around in my head months, even years after they have occurred.

My mom’s death did that for me. It was once a cliché saying that life is too short. Now it is a daily reminder. A reminder that I want to live each day as my last. I want my family and friends to know just how much I love them and how much they mean to me, right now. I don’t want there to be any guesses about how much I enjoy spending time with them, instead I will show them. Life gets busy, life is busy but I find that you always make time for the things you love … and well, I love my family and friends.


8 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful reminder. I fall into the texting habits because of convenience, but I love a good phone call and catching up. We're working harder on having more family time, especially with relatives to be able to spend time with the kids. Sierra Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, texting is definitely convenient and I think it's better than nothing at all. And sometimes you just want a person to quickly know that you're thinking about them. It just took so much time to realize the importance of a phone call and being able to actually hear the other person on the other end. These cell phones spoiled me!

      Delete
  2. So much truth and a beautiful reminder!

    I've personally made it more of a point to be more present in the moment when I'm out with friends or family. Take a picture or two and be done. Love this! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen! Hi!!!! Long time :)

      I'm still learning about the take a picture or two and be done thing ... I can't seem to manage that at all, lol! Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. I'm terrible with voice calls, mostly I have a 7 year old in my face every time I get on the phone - LOL it's just easier not to, but I understand it's importance.

    I've been family & friend oriented my whole life too. I've always cared more about that aspect of my life then say occupation or money. I've lost relatives I adored- and would love to have a conversation with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Dom I said, not nice, haha. I wasn't always the best and it does take an extra effort ... but I think the effort is worth it in the long run. Same here! :)

      Delete
  4. Right now the only person I talk to regularly by phone is my mom...and it's usually about an hour. When I talk to my sister it's about an hour. When I talk to anyone it's about an hour. It's just so hard to find time when two people (especially in different time zones) aren't too busy to talk. That's an excuse! I think it's great you are doing it. Texting and social media has really allowed us to become pretty disconnected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when I speak to my sisters it always ends up begin an hour or more. With my dad he doesn't stay on the phone very long ... top is 15 minutes. I make sure to call my sisters when I have a bit more time because I know the conversations always end up being way longer than expected.

      Tell me about it! Kinda insane how disconnected we've become.

      Delete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!