Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Girl's Weekend in Philadelphia ♥

thumbnail_IMG_8304

Last weekend, my girlfriend from college (Jihae) and I spent the weekend together in Philadelphia for a late birthday celebration. We are two days apart! We initially were going to do Charleston but decided that for just the weekend the travel time alone would take up too much time from our weekend. When Sean suggested we do Philadelphia I wondered why I hadn’t thought the same thing. Since Jihae lives in New York City it made so much more sense. We each would have a much shorter commute which would mean more time to spend together which of course made a trip to Philly seem more attractive.

Spoiler alert: We had an amazing time! We made sure to do a few touristy things, eat a whole lot and of course talk until we couldn’t talk anymore. We arrived early Friday afternoon and immediately after checking in (we stayed at The Windsor Suites – such a great location as we were walking distance to so many attractions!) we headed straight to Jim’s Steak.

thumbnail_IMG_8444

thumbnail_IMG_8441 thumbnail_IMG_8442

thumbnail_IMG_8443

The line at Jim’s Steak was long and we waited about 30 minutes but it didn’t bother us because the weather was rather nice so we just talked while we waited. Our Philly steak sandwiches were good but not the best one I’ve had. When I know the best one in Philly, I’ll definitely share but until then it is a lot of fun trying as many as I can.

thumbnail_IMG_8437

thumbnail_IMG_8439

There is mosaic art all throughout South Street!

thumbnail_IMG_8430

thumbnail_IMG_8435

thumbnail_IMG_8178

After lunch we walked over to check out Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens. It is a $10 entry fee (completely worth it!) and is absolutely stunning. I can’t imagine having the type of brain to create something out of nothing. “Philadelphia's Magic Gardens is a non-profit organization, folk art environment, and gallery space on South Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. To date, it is the largest work created by mosaic artist Isaiah Zagar. The Magic Gardens spans three city lots, and includes indoor galleries and a large outdoor labyrinth.” The artist is from Brooklyn so I immediately thought, of course, haha.

thumbnail_IMG_8186

thumbnail_IMG_8179

thumbnail_IMG_8424

thumbnail_IMG_8429

thumbnail_IMG_8427

thumbnail_IMG_8187

thumbnail_IMG_8182

thumbnail_IMG_8420

thumbnail_IMG_8419

thumbnail_IMG_8417

thumbnail_IMG_8183

thumbnail_IMG_8184

thumbnail_IMG_8188

After the magic garden we went back to our hotel to get ready for the evening. We went to Parc in Rittenhouse Square
for dinner and it was delicious! It is a French restaurant and I felt like I was back in Paris for a minute.
They had the best Pinor Noir I've ever had so I’m looking forward to going back again!

thumbnail_IMG_8410

thumbnail_IMG_8412

thumbnail_IMG_8414

thumbnail_IMG_8403

thumbnail_IMG_8409

thumbnail_IMG_8413

After dinner, we went to Byblos for drinks and hookah. I do not have the lungs at all but we definitely had a good time.
After that we walked back to our hotel and called it a night.

thumbnail_IMG_8402

Saturday morning, I woke up rather early but I did not move from bed as Jihae was catching up on some beauty rest as she isn’t able to sleep like she use to with two little kiddos at home. She slept for nine hours and said that she felt like a new woman, haha. When Jihae finally woke up we got ready for the day and headed to City Hall and then to Elfreth’s Alley which is the oldest residential street in America.

There are 32 houses on the street (people still live in them) and they were built between 1728 and 1836.

thumbnail_IMG_8305

thumbnail_IMG_8397

The homes along Elfreth's Alley have been well kept over the years and the cobblestones make everything so much more charming.

thumbnail_IMG_8323

thumbnail_IMG_8325

thumbnail_IMG_8327

thumbnail_IMG_8392

thumbnail_IMG_8396

thumbnail_IMG_8326

thumbnail_IMG_8390

thumbnail_IMG_8394

thumbnail_IMG_8395

thumbnail_IMG_8393

thumbnail_IMG_8285

thumbnail_IMG_8294

thumbnail_IMG_8303

After that we headed to Harper’s Garden for brunch. The restaurant’s décor is so on point and the food was just as great. Everything was so fresh and tasty. Jihae’s meal came with a side of arugula salad and she had me try it.
It was so delicious that we ended up ordering a big plate to share.

thumbnail_IMG_8308

thumbnail_IMG_8313

thumbnail_IMG_8315

thumbnail_IMG_8389

thumbnail_IMG_8320

thumbnail_IMG_8322

After eating we went shopping. I picked up a pair of jeans from Madewell and Jihae picked up a
bunch of things for herself and family.

After shopping we headed back to our hotel where we rested our feet for about an hour before getting ready for dinner. We had dinner at Pietro’s Italian on Walnut street and had amazing meals. The arugula pizza is out of this world!
Our server was incredible and so personable and we just had a wonderful experience here.

thumbnail_IMG_8328

thumbnail_IMG_8365 thumbnail_IMG_8367

thumbnail_IMG_8445

thumbnail_IMG_8355

thumbnail_IMG_8384

thumbnail_IMG_8356

After dinner, we walked to Chris' Jazz Café for a night of live jazz music. It was great to be still and listen to jazz with one of my greatest friends in this world. We had such a good evening and when there was no more music to listen to we headed back to our hotel and called it a night.

The following morning we had breakfast at Sabrina’s Café. The wait is long but if you call ahead of time they will put you on the waiting list and tell you how long you’ll have to wait. So we arranged for us to get to the restaurant
around the time our table would be available.

We went to Au Pain Quotidien for coffee first (to kill time) and then when we headed to Sabrina’s Café we had a less than 10 minute wait. Our food was so good and our server was so accommodating when we told her that we needed to move quick
to ensure that Jihae did not miss her train.

thumbnail_IMG_8370 thumbnail_IMG_8369


thumbnail_IMG_8387

thumbnail_IMG_8374

We then headed back to our hotel room to gather all our belongings and then I dropped Jihae off at the train station. It is always such a bummer when a weekend you had been looking forward to for months is over but I really had such a great time. It’s amazing to me that we’ve been friends since I was 18 years old but we still have not skipped a beat. It’s so important to me to ensure that friendships like these remain treasured and intentional regardless of distance and time.

It was truly a wonderful weekend and I can’t wait until the next one.

8 comments:

  1. What an amazing time! Philly is so much fun and such a great spot for a girls weekend. I LOVE that you let your friend sleep in! I've tried Jim's too and I'm still in search for the best cheese steak as well. Not complaining tasting them though :) That Alley is so perfect! My sister actually got engaged on that street this spring. Her fiance hired a private photographer to capture the whole thing and was off hiding in the bushes. She even cleared the street and didn't let anyone walk down until they were done. I have to check out Harper's Garden. It looks like the perfect brunch spot! Sierra Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was and I agree that Philly is so much fun! I feel like I've visited a lot this year and I've grown to really love it.

      Hahaha, I could tell she needed it :)

      Def. not complaining tasting either, ha! But can't wait to find a favorite!

      That is so awesome! What a great location to get engaged at. I love that her photographer cleared the street which I can imagine was quite the task!

      Yes, def. do. The food was so fresh and you could tell they used local ingredients! Also didn't hurt that it was gorgeous inside :) I would love to go in the summer/spring time because their patio area is beautiful!

      Delete
  2. YAY! I've been excited for this post- I enjoyed watching your Instagram.

    I love that you still keep in touch with your college friends. Philly seems like such a fun compromise. A place you don't go all that often, but still close to home. Although, Charleston would've been equally exciting.

    The mosaic gallery looks amazing. I love how creative minds work! If I EVER get to Philly to visit you sometime I definitely want to check this out.

    Pinot Noir = <3 | I've never tried Hookahs, I'm not sure I'd have the lung capacity for it either.

    That's an interesting fact about the oldest residential street in the US. The cobble stone streets are charming! I'm sure it costs a pretty penny to live there now-a-days, even though they were immigrant homes at one time!

    All the food and restaurants looked amazing as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! :)

      My college girlfriends are really amazing so I'm glad we've been able to keep in touch too. We aren't going to be able to do our annual reunion this year but we're hoping to fix that in the spring!

      Philly is def. a fun compromise. I really love it there. To me it is like a mini NYC!

      Yes, you get here and we will def do it! I wouldn't mind doing it over and over again. It's stunning.

      Girl, I'm so lame when it came to the hookah but it def. was fun and tasted nice. We did a peach/strawberry flavor, haha.

      It's a really pretty street. Interesting enough we thought it was going to be really expensive and it isn't in the way you would think it was. None of them were at the million dollar mark! I think the highest one was $800K...

      Delete
  3. That's so awesome that you two did this together!! You both look life fashion bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really awesome, we had a really good time :)

      Ummm ... hahaha, NOOOOOO!!!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!