Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Ghana: Kantaka & Kakum National Rain Forest

IMG_1446

How do I begin to recap this trip?! I already started on my Instagram page but as much as I’d like to post a million and one pictures there, I just can’t clog up people’s feeds. Here, I can do pretty much whatever I want. And to be honest, I want to be able to look at this trip with ease anytime I choose, so I will recap and share a million and one pictures of our trip to Ghana here.

I actually was suppose to go to Ghana with Sean in 2016. But everything happened with my health and my doctor advised against me taking the flight to Ghana as I was just recovering from surgery and a DVT in my left leg. It was so great that this time around my health was not even a concern. Time is an amazing thing.

OK, I’ll start with everything you need to do in order to travel to Ghana. Obviously, you need a passport. But you also need a yellow fever vaccine (I got mine in 2002 so I didn’t need it again) and visas to go to Ghana. Once you have that you’re good to go! We were given prescriptions for malaria tablets (which we took daily) and our doctor highly recommended bug spray with deet. We got bug spray with 40% deet and I did not get one mosquito bite. Sean hated the smell of it so he was not as great with using the spray so he got a few bites but nothing major. I will say that I am so glad to not be using that spray right now, it’s just so strong and smells unpleasant.

When you’re in Ghana you can’t drink the water so you have to make sure that you have bottled water that is sealed. Do not drink any water from a bottle that is not sealed. Sean made tea one morning and boiled water and thought he was good to go. Nope he wasn’t. I kept on asking him why he didn’t boil the bottled water since we had plenty … he said he hadn’t thought of it. Ha, lesson learned.

We flew into Accra from Washington DC. When we arrived my dad, his brother and his friend picked us up at the airport. My dad already planned for us to tour Kantaka which is a car manufacturer in Ghana. This is huge for Ghana and I hope that one day I’ll be able to see cars made in Ghana (with the black star on the back) on the road in the USA. A lot of what they're making is by hand but you’d never guess.

There was also a farm close by that we were able to see tons of chickens, turkeys, ostriches, goats, peacocks and best of all ZEBRAS! That was such a delight. Unfortunately, I left my camera in the car (not sure why I did that to be honest) so I took a lot of video which you will be able to see in my Ghana highlights on my Instagram page. Here are a few pictures I did take with my phone but they really do it no justice at all!

thumbnail_IMG_0963

thumbnail_IMG_0959

thumbnail_IMG_0960 thumbnail_IMG_0961

thumbnail_IMG_0962

My dad and Sean just loved checking out the cars. This one is called a motor-limousine and was just so cool.

thumbnail_IMG_0965

thumbnail_IMG_0966

thumbnail_IMG_0967

thumbnail_IMG_0968

thumbnail_IMG_0970

thumbnail_IMG_0977

thumbnail_IMG_0979

Afterwards we were quite tired and hungry. My uncle drove us about an hour away to Oburi, Ghana to my aunt’s house where she had a big dinner waiting for us. It was so delicious. I had jollof to my heart’s content.

After dinner, my dad dropped us off at a hotel to spend a night. I wish I could remember the name of the hotel but it’s not in a touristy area. We had no cedis (Ghanaian currency) at that time so we basically had to stay in the hotel and not roam. Not the worst thing since we were exhausted but we like to explore. We needed a shower bad so Sean took a shower first and well, he ended up using all the water! Man, talk about things that we don’t worry about in the states. He didn’t just use up all the hot water, he used up all the water. I should have warned him that he needed to not have the water run while he is showering (bad habit that he has at home) but I forgot to. I didn’t realize it until it was too late. Let’s just say that I wasn’t the happiest camper. But I slept good that night which was perfect because we were going to have a long day of exploring the following day.

The next morning we did get water (it was cold but refreshing because of the weather) and I was able to take a proper shower. Best way to begin the day :).

We had breakfast at the restaurant connected to the hotel that consisted of an omelet, African bread (the best bread in the world!) and tea. I’ve decided that I want to be a tea person now. Shortly after we ate, my dad picked us up to drive us to Kakum National Rain Forest to do the canopy walk.

This wasn’t my first time doing the canopy walk but I felt like it was my first. Still as anxious as ever to do it. I tried to look down a few times and just decided against it because I seriously can’t handle it, haha. I walked slowly with my eyes straightforward while Sean and my dad cracked jokes. We were assured that no one has ever fallen and that many safety precautions are taken and that it is pretty much impossible to fall but ya know … the mind still plays tricks on you. The hike is about 20 minutes and then you get to the canopy. Overall, I had a really great time and Sean was even able to capture me smiling a few times. The thing is that once you reach the end you feel so good that you did it. I survived the canopy walk for the second time. Here are a ton of pictures.

IMG_1498

IMG_1384 IMG_1393

IMG_1385

IMG_1394 IMG_1395

IMG_1398

IMG_1402 IMG_1404

Waiting to do the hike up to the canopy walk.
My dad is on the left of me, my uncle (dad's brother) is on the right of me and one of my dad's
closest friends on the far right of me.

IMG_1407

IMG_1410 IMG_1413

Akwaaba means Welcome!

IMG_1417

IMG_1420 IMG_1421

IMG_1433

IMG_1426

IMG_1429

Here we go!

IMG_1438

IMG_1439 IMG_1440

IMG_1453

IMG_1448 IMG_1460

IMG_1455

My dad :) While I was shaking walking the canopy he was all jokes and smiles.

IMG_1449 IMG_1456

IMG_1466

IMG_1463 IMG_1472

I did it! All smiles and sweat :)

IMG_1475 IMG_1476

The person responsible for 90% of the pics above because I didn't trust myself to walk the canopy with my heavy camera.
He did amazing :)

IMG_1478

Hiking down we stopped for raw honey and coconuts. Yum!
I have to tell you, the fruits in Ghana are out of this world. After you've had it it's very hard to come back home and have fruits. I love, love pineapples but they do not compare here and I can't even buy them at home right now.

IMG_1482

IMG_1483

IMG_1487 IMG_1489

IMG_1497

IMG_1492 IMG_1496

After the canopy walk we drove to the Cape Coast Castle.
But since this post is already quite long, I’ll continue in a future post.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely! What is the name of the mosquito repellent used? I want some of that bread :-).
    Looking for ward to reading all of your re-caps of this trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The brand is called Cutter with 40% deet; it is quite strong.

      The best thing was all the people selling the bread on the side of the road and getting some. SO, so good.

      Delete
  2. About the mosquitoes - they know fresh meat! When I go to JA, I'm devoured by the mosquitoes - never my husband.
    I'm dying to know - was this your best trip ever? It seems that way.
    About the fruits and food - when you eat real food abroad, it's disappointing when you return to the States. For all of this country's wealth, we should stop messing around with food. (that's a loaded argument)

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned my lesson from the last time I was in Ghana. I didn't use bug spray and I got bit way more than all my sisters. I was right on the verge of malaria, had my parents freaked out.

      It completely was! I loved every moment of this trip and I can't wait to go back.

      Seriously! I don't understand it either. How with all this wealth in this country our foods don't match to other countries with far less than we do? Greed will forever be the problem.

      Delete
  3. Ghana is on my bucket lists and you have made me want to go so bad now...Great pictures and great info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is so great to read! Thank you :) I'll be sharing more of Ghana soon!

      Delete
  4. I've been waiting for these posts! I love seeing all of your pictures on insta but I feel like with insta things can be missed and I love hearing more the back story here. What an amazing experience and I'm so glad you got to go. That is crazy about using up all of the water. Wow, the things we don't even realize or take for granted everyday. Sierra Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you :) I completely agree! Instagram can't get the entire story the way a blog post can.

      I'm so glad I got to go too. Haha, right?! I understand using up all the hot water ... but all the water! That was definitely new, haha.

      Delete
  5. Amazing! Did you guys get to take a ride in one of those cars ?!

    How was visiting your aunts ?! Did you get them to answer questions about your mom or share some stories? I know you were looking forward to that.

    The walk across the forest would've scared me too! I went on the Skyfari at the damn zoo and was freaking out (it's basically a ski lift that takes you around the zoo). I don't do so well with heights the older I get. I LOVE the look on your dad's face walking across it- I say it all the time, but he's seriously adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, you know what?! I didn't even think of riding in the cars!

      Well, my mom's sister is still grieving so I didn't get any stories :( I was so disappointed but I understand. She never did get to say goodbye since my mom was buried in the states.

      So scary and it also swings! Yeah, I think when you're older you realize that if you fall from very high you're most likely done for.

      Hahaha, he was loving every bit of it. Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. I would so love that hike! How fun. The bridge reminds me of a much smaller one from girl scout camp many many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's completely up your alley! How fun! If you did it as a young girl you'll have no problem doing this one!

      Delete
  7. I followed your IG stories but love the backstory here. The pics are beautiful. We're supposed to be going to Ghana with my friend Tutu but he's been bs'n! Wanted to go with someone who has family there and familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope that you're able to go to Ghana very soon. Tell your friend to behave himself! Yes, it makes it easier to go with someone who is familiar/has family there but there are many people who go without the connection. I think if you go with some friends (with or without the connection) you'll have an amazing time.

      Delete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!