Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2018

San Francisco: Alcatraz, Union Square & more

IMG_3453

We went to bed rather early Sunday evening as we had tickets for an Alcatraz tour. Before heading back to our hotel room Sunday evening, we stopped at CVS to pick up a few things to store in our fridge that way we could eat breakfast in our room Monday morning. It was a good call as we got to sleep in a little later as we did not have to stop to get breakfast Monday morning.

I thought the area that we had to wait to board the boat was beautiful with all the succulents.
I couldn't help but to take a few pictures.

IMG_3301
IMG_3300

IMG_3299

IMG_3401

On the boat :)

IMG_3302 IMG_3305

Our first sighting of the Golden Gate Bridge!
This was such an exciting moment for Sean and me.

IMG_3306
IMG_3313
IMG_3324

Sean has always, always wanted to check out Alcatraz and me, well, not so much. I honestly thought that it was strange that people have always seemed to glamorize notorious criminals. They did bad things. Why are we so intrigued? Well, I was wrong. It was truly more like a history lesson. We learned the ins and outs of Alcatraz. We saw the conditions the inmates lived in, we learned of correction officers who lost their lives at the hands of these inmates, we learned of inmates who tried to escape the prison and also of the three inmates that escaped and were never heard of again. Some people say they made it but when you see the island up close and personal you wonder, how in the world did they do it? But then again, these inmates created human like heads to fool the guards with practically nothing and drilled holes in their cells to get out, so anything is possible.

There were sections that were closed off due to safety concerns but for the most part, I think the island has been kept up quite well. We did the audio tour and it was very informative and interesting. We also talked to one of the inmates that actually lived in Alcatraz when it was up and running. He shared his experience in Alcatraz and also that after his time in Alcatraz he had written a book, gotten married, purchased a home, had kids, etc. I felt a little uneasy about the whole thing but Sean, of course, had to purchase his book, talk to him and get a picture. Sean is the biggest history buff so I wasn’t surprised and was a bit amused. I didn't buy anything but Sean purchased a silver mug (plus the book) because he wanted to run the mug across the bars of the prison. I'm dead serious. Two other people on the tour saw him do it and burst out laughing. It was kinda hilarious.

Overall, it was a really informative tour and if you ever have a chance to tour Alcatraz I recommend that you do. For me, I sometimes can get in my own way of thinking. And I’m not always right as much as it pains me to say, lol. So if you are on the fence I recommend that you do it. And if you have done it, what did you think?

IMG_3332 IMG_3331

IMG_3327
IMG_3325

IMG_3329

IMG_3335 IMG_3336
IMG_3342 IMG_3344

IMG_3341

IMG_3349 IMG_3340

IMG_3352

This is what greeted the inmates when they stepped into the prison for the first time.

IMG_3353

The cells.

IMG_3358 IMG_3357
IMG_3368 IMG_3359

IMG_3361

The inmate's recreational yard.

IMG_3362

When we went through the door in the above picture this is what we saw.
The inmates were not allowed to see this view.

IMG_3364
IMG_3371

A picture of one of the correctional officers that was killed during one of the multiple riots at the prison.
And in the picture next to it you can see one of the heads that was made to confuse the guards to make an escape.

IMG_3373 IMG_3384

The warden's office.

IMG_3382

The dining hall and kitchen.

IMG_3392
IMG_3393
IMG_3394

We were told (audio tour) to sit on the benches.
I could not bring myself to do it, ha. Yup, I'm so lame.

IMG_3396

Sean having his moment.

IMG_3397 IMG_3399

IMG_3379
IMG_3380

After the Alcatraz tour, we drove back to our hotel to drop off Sean’s souvenirs and then we decided to take the cable cars down to Union Square! It was so much fun that we did not just do it once during our trip. I just loved being able to experience it firsthand and it really was so neat. It was pretty hard to wipe the smile off my face while we were in San Francisco.

IMG_3406

IMG_3409
IMG_3411

IMG_3414 IMG_3415

IMG_3433

IMG_3420 IMG_3421
IMG_3435 IMG_3434

IMG_3437

IMG_3442 IMG_3444

IMG_3447
IMG_3450
IMG_3452
IMG_3458

By the time we got to Union Square we were hungry but our desire to explore was greater so we walked around a bit taking in all the sights and saying over and over how we couldn’t believe that we were actually here, experiencing this.

When our hunger became too great to ignore, Sean searched for a restaurant that had enough options on the menu that we both would be happy to choose from and that we could walk to. We ended up at Café de la Presse and because the weather was so beautiful that day, we ate outside! I ordered a glass of Pinot Noir and a burger that was so big that we ended up splitting it. Our meals were so delicious and I wished that we had time to go back again.

IMG_3461 IMG_3462

IMG_3471

IMG_3465 IMG_3473

IMG_3475

It was getting later by this point so we took the trolley back to our hotel room to get ready for the night. But before heading into our room we popped into Bistro Boudin for a drink and were given complimentary sour dough bread which was delicious. I ordered a raspberry lemon drop and Sean ordered a Manhattan. We received such great service that we took a mental note to come back for dinner before we left San Francisco.

IMG_3479

We first went to Tunnel Top for drinks and then asked the bartender if he had any recommendations for a Monday night. He immediately recommended Madrone for their Motown Mondays. I love Motown music so that was all I needed to hear. We took an Uber and when we arrived there was a long line of people waiting to get inside. We waited on line for quite some time but we decided that we’d stick it out because anything with a line that long had to be special, right? Well, we were absolutely right to have waited. It was a $3 entry and to be honest I would have paid $20! We had the most amazing time. The music was fantastic, the vibes were awesome, just such great energy at Madrone’s. I told Sean over and over that I wish we had a club in Pennsylvania just like this because I (no joke) listen to Motown every day. It is my choice of music for any and every chore I do around the house.

thumbnail_IMG_5700 thumbnail_IMG_5947

After we had danced and sung our little hearts out, we ordered street tacos from the taco trunk right outside the bar. And YUM, give me all the street tacos. Wish I could remember the name of the taco truck ... This night was so much fun but I could not wait to go to bed because the following day we were going to be seeing the Painted Ladies! A dream come true :).

7 comments:

  1. Wow!! I’ve been considering a trip to Cali; but, this post makes want to just book a trip like right now! It looks like you and Sean had a great getaway. All the pictures were amazing. And the food you both ate looked and sounded great. San Fran is def on my travel list and I’m excited ��.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love San Francisco. The food was always delicious. We did Fishermans Wharf and walked over the Golden Gate bridge, or did we drive? I don't remember but it was beautiful. My husband wanted to do the Alcatraz tour, but it was 6 of us so we didn't do it. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the photos are super pretty! I hope you have been well since 😘

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh..the thing I love the most about Faith's blog is it's so real! You are fantastic at capturing moments and experiences...Part of me is like people should pay you to do this..but I love how authentic you come across because you really are just doing it for fun..so the selfish me is like let's enjoy this gem longer...all that to say I love your blog! You have me looking at universities in San Fran because it just looks like a great city!...also in true Faith fashion..you captured the menu board at Alcatraz which I thought was hilarious...that menu looked good for 1963 prison..I mean scrambled eggs?? Hollywood has us believing all kinds of lies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woww this looks like the coolest trip ever! Super impressed with all the incredible photos you got! Thanks so much for sharing!

    -Emily | www.East91Blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful job on the pics! I love your date night look, the hair and everything. At least you got to escape the show on the North East. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would've LOVED the MoTown night too. In fact one of mine and Eric's friends is putting on a Motown concert with his buddies next month and we're going.... not the point... side tracked. You looked fabulous by the way.

    I'm not sure looking at a abandoned prison/museum would've been on my list of things I wanted to do either, although after reading your blurb it sounds interesting- Sean looks like he's having the time of his life and LMAO at running his souvenir cup along the cell bars..only him. What is the deal with Alcatraz anyway? I guess I should google it. I always hear people make references or movies but it usually goes in one ear out the other. You took amazing photos as always.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!