Pages

Friday, January 18, 2019

Beach and Waterfall loving in the Dominican Republic

IMG_8100

The following morning Paulo arranged for us to take a road trip to Semana to enjoy another area in the Dominican Republic.

On our way to Semana, Paulo took us through his hometown (Limon) and it was such a vast difference from where we were staying in Las Terrenas. It was at this time that we were able to see that there is no in between ... you’re either wealthy or you’re not. But the one thing that really caught my eye was the community. The popular mode of transportation are motor bikes and someone would be riding one and see another person walking and would pull over and tell the person to hop on. Another popular mode of transportation was by horse which was pretty neat to see as well.

thumbnail_IMG_8786

We drove through an amazing food market driving to Samana and I wish that we could have stopped.

When we arrived to Semana, I learned that we would be taking a small boat to our final destination. Let’s just say, that I’m not a fan of small boats at all. I felt myself start to panic and everyone could see my fear because they all began to reassure me that it was just fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes when you’re afraid feels like a lifetime. But we had come this far so I got on the shaky boat with an orange life vest (lol) and prayed that this tiny boat would support all our weight and wouldn’t topple over into the ocean. The entire time I squeezed my eyes and hands so tight. The thing is that before this experience, I didn’t even know how much small boats freaked me out. It also didn’t help that the waves were crashing hard against the boat which meant that we had to speed to basically push against the waves. I’ve never been so happy to reach a destination in my life. I was good for the time being and refused to think about the fact that I would have to get back on that small boat to get back to Las Terrenas.

The boat with the gentlemen in red was our boat.
Not sure how that small boat supported seven adults.

IMG_8062

The boat ride was worth it when we reached Luxury Bahia Principle Cavo Levantado. It’s a gorgeous all adult hotel in Samana. We enjoyed a beautiful beach, delicious drinks (Coco Locos and Pina Coladas) and Caribbean music. We were so relaxed but then all too quickly (at least it felt that way) it was time to leave. Luckily, the boat ride back was so much more pleasant that I was actually able to snap a few pictures and video of the boat ride. I didn't use my actual camera as I did not trust that I wouldn't drop it in the ocean. I still was the only one with the orange life vest but I was able to smile for a picture, ha. I won’t lie, my heart was still beating hard but I wasn’t nearly as afraid. I guess when you know you did something before and came out OK it’s easier to trust that the process will result in the same way.

IMG_8065

IMG_8064

IMG_8068

IMG_8073

IMG_8074

IMG_8084 IMG_8081

IMG_8109

IMG_8091 IMG_8117

IMG_8093

IMG_8092 IMG_8096

IMG_8101

IMG_8099 IMG_8102

IMG_8112 IMG_8114

Time to leave!

thumbnail_IMG_8780

thumbnail_IMG_8778 thumbnail_IMG_8775

thumbnail_IMG_8781

thumbnail_IMG_8785

Paulo then took us to a local restaurant that didn’t even have a name. But man was the food SO good.
We ate to our hearts content.

thumbnail_IMG_8790

Our adventure of the day was not over as we were hiking to the Waterfall of Cascada El Limon to see the waterfalls! I rented proper footwear (the ground was muddy, slippery and mixed with horse shit) to ensure that I did not slip and fall. You have the option to do horseback or hike and we opted to hike as I believe it gives you the full experience. Or better yet, hike to the waterfall and then ride a horse back which is what Tonya did.

thumbnail_IMG_8796

thumbnail_IMG_8809

thumbnail_IMG_8810

If it wasn’t so muddy I think it would have been a relatively simple hike but because of the mud you had to be more careful which equates to slowing down a bit. But in the end it’s always best to be safe than sorry. And the hike was completely worth it! It was absolutely beautiful. When we reached the waterfall we were all so hot and wanting to swim but woah, was the water COLD. I ended up just putting my feet in the water but Sean and Tom certainly swam their little hearts out :).

thumbnail_IMG_8804

thumbnail_IMG_8807 thumbnail_IMG_8808

thumbnail_IMG_8805

thumbnail_IMG_8813

thumbnail_IMG_8798

By the time we were done we were all so exhausted and passed out on the ride back to Las Terranas. Since Paulo was with us we told him that we wanted him to go home and rest and that we would prepare our dinner that night. We were surprised when we found that amazing Maria actually had dinner (chicken stew with rice & beans, yum!) waiting for us when we returned. I showered, ate and passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds like my kind of vacation. I too would have been the only one in the life vest. But the hike and the food sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know that I wouldn't be the only one in the life vest! It was such a great experience and the food is so fresh and delicious in DR!

      Delete
  2. So many great captures!! I'm not a fan of small boats either. This is making me want some serious sun. I'm headed to Bermuda with my sister in two weeks and hoping we have some good weather. That waterfall is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ugh, they're the worst. Put me in a big boat and I'm a happy camper. I am needing some serious sun right about now. The weather is brutal! Yasss, I can't wait to live vicariously through you! It was stunning!

      Delete
  3. I might have to steal one of your beach photos and make it my laptop wallpaper! LOL

    I would imagine that getting full fledged cars and trucks to a relatively poor country on an island would be hard to accomplish. Dirt bikes and breeding horses seems easier. (Although Cuba has all those amazing old classic vintage cars.)

    Well even if you fell off the boat.. I'm sure you would've been fine floating in your life vest for a little bit. I don't like small boats either (or planes!)

    Your food looks delicious! and the hike to the waterfall sounds like fun. I'm lazy and probably would've insisted on the horse LOL, but still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, feel free to. If you're really serious I can text you one of the pictures!

      Yeah, I imagine that is the case too.

      Hahaha, probably but I don't exactly trust my swimming skills, lol.

      It was so delicious! We've been trying to make this potato concoction since we've been back and we've been unable to replicate it. Big bummer.

      Hahaha, the hike was awesome and a bit strenuous which is why Tonya had to get the horse back.

      Delete
  4. Love the swimsuit. I have the same one but ended up returning it when I didn't wear it in Barbados!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just picture how fabulous it was on you! It's my favorite swimsuit at the moment!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!