Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Priorities: Being Kinder to Myself

IMG_8221

It is human nature to be our worst critics but I think because we believe it is part of our nature we’ve accepted that it is OK to not be kind to ourselves. At least, I had. It was just last year that I began to truly be kinder to myself. 2016 and most of 2017 were the worst years for my self esteem and after a full year of just beating myself up, I decided that 2018 was the year that I would not allow me to break me down.

It isn’t easy to change bad habits but there were a few things that I decided that I would change to make it easier to speak truth and good to myself. Because the thing is that the way you speak to yourself matters.

You won’t automatically become kind to yourself in a day so for every bad thought I would think about myself, I had to tell myself (out loud) two good things about myself. Saying things out loud made things real to me. And with me telling myself two good things, I felt like the bad thing was essentially crossed off. It was almost like getting two things for the price of one. And soon enough, (although not really soon enough) the good was overshadowing the bad.

I began to ask myself, would I talk to my sisters or my girlfriends this way? The answer was always no. I always talk to my sisters and girlfriends with kindness even when I’m being brutally honest about something. So, why was it so hard to do the same with myself? Every time a negative thought would creep in I would ask myself, would you say this to a friend? And if you did, how would that make them feel? How is this making you feel?

The next thing I started doing was asking myself, why am I thinking this? Is there any truth to what I’m telling myself? A lot of the times the answer was actually no.

I use to stare at myself in the mirror and critique everything I thought was wrong with myself. And I find that this was the hardest to do but then I had to start telling myself everything I thought was right with myself. And in the end, it was never a vanity thing. In fact it would be something like, your eyes are just fine because you can see all the beauty in the world. Your belly is just fine, you get to enjoy all your favorite foods. Your arms are just fine, you get to hug all your niece and nephews. Your legs are just fine, you get to travel and walk around new places. And basically that’s how I turned a negative game into a positive one. Lately, I find myself admiring myself and it’s such a good feeling. I feel like I walk with more confidence and don’t want to hide anymore. This talking good to myself was actually working. But I had to be consistent. Something that I knew needed fixing and something that I wanted to fix.

There is no easy fix when it comes to loving ourselves. It takes time and consistency to undo bad habits. But when I finally saw the damage that I was doing to myself and that my feelings of anxiousness was because of my thoughts, I knew I had to start somewhere. I’m not sure why it took me a while to realize that I control my thoughts. I was the one who allowed them to seep in whether they were true or not. It was realizing that I could counter the bad thoughts with good thoughts. I’m not 100% there yet ... but I can feel myself getting there and that to me makes a world of difference.

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and encouraging. Even though we know to be kind sometimes life can make us unkind. We are constantly relearning; I think they call this maturity. And in your case it breeds confidence which is truly beautiful. Shine on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yes, completely agree. I love that we continue to learn as life continues to throw surprises. Shine on, I really like that. You shine on too!

      Delete
  2. You already know how much I/I've struggled with this. You gave me a very direct heart to heart when I was having an "existential - why did I do this to myself" crisis. I took your advice and wrote down everything I DID love and like about myself, and for a few weeks after I kept adding to it as I thought about it. It was strange, because something in me snapped. Thank you for your support when I needed the tough love the most. I still struggle sometimes, but I saved the list, for when I need the boost.

    I adore everything about you! I think in some ways it's so much easier to love and accept others than our own selves. Thank you for writing this. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you took the advise and wrote down things. I find it so helpful. It is so easy to let life's circumstances turn us against our own selves. I think it is realizing that you'll always be you, no one else so you might as well, love on yourself a little more.

      You're very welcome :) You're extremely special yourself!

      Delete
  3. This is encouraging to a lot of people. I constantly tell people to love themselves. If you don't love you who will. I grew up in a small azz town outside of Buffalo. I went to HS and lived in a predominately white town. Growing up I saw my friends suffer with anorexia and bulimia. For some reason(probably my mom) I never suffered from body issues. Although looking back I should've. I was the black friend who was curvy, had thick thighs and a fat booty but I also embraced them at an early age with help of my mom and my sister who was shaped just like me but shorter. I saw these girls take Grey Poupon and chase it with hot water(it acts as a diuretic) and I would sit there chowing down on a big Mac. I would also say I'm good. I didn't want to be stick thin. I ran track,played basketball and soccer. I loved my muscles and my six pack. To ME being a rail wasn't attractive or healthy. When I went away to college I had more black friends and friends of other ethnicities that didn't stress weight. I'm still friends with some of the high school girls and they always say "Shell, you always told us to love ourselves and if a boy didn't like you because you were a little thicker fcuk them." Who knew a 15 year old could say such real shyt. To this day I'm still like that. My friends tell me I love myself more than my parents love me. That's real love!! LOL!
    Anyway, everyone has something they hate about their bodies etc. Own it and keep it moving. Life is too short to worry about the little things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! SO many people need to hear it. Moms play such a great role when it comes to confidence. I remember growing up I was made fun of due to my dark skin but my mom would always tell me how beautiful my dark skin was ... due to this, I never had any issues with my skin tone. I loved it always. It's amazing how much parents play a role in our lives.

      I love your confidence ... even as a 15 year old girl you knew what was up! :)

      Delete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!