Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Recipe to try: Cinnamon Swirl Loaf

IMG_5699

Earlier this year, I noted that one of my goals this year was to bake more. I love to cook but baking has never been something I've enjoyed due to exact measurement requirements. But I put it on my goals for this year as it’s something I decided I wanted to be better at in the kitchen. Also, I find baking to be something that requires patience and I'm working on that too.

Now that our weekends have freed up considerably there is no better time than now to start baking. So, on our last grocery shopping trip, I picked up some flour and yeast. I’ve never purchased yeast before, yet alone used it but I'm told that I need it if I want to bake some homemade bread.

I am aware that this might be something frivolous to blog about considering everything happening in the world; but I’ve decided that my blog shouldn’t be the place you get news on COVID-19. There are far more experienced people who are sharing the news surrounding it and doing a standup job. With that being said, here’s the recipe for the cinnamon swirl loaf that I found on @erincsousa's Instagram. She notes that it is her mom's recipe and it's a wonderful one at that.

RECIPE: CINNAMON SWIRL LOAF

IMG_5694

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp real vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder

TOPPING:

1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

HOW TO:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line loaf pan with parchment paper * Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in small bowl * Mix sour cream and baking soda in a bowl, set aside * In large mixing bowl, blend softened butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy * In separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder. Alternate with sour cream mixture into your butter mixture ensuring you don’t over mix * Layer batter into your loaf pan: one layer batter, sprinkle liberally with cinnamon sugar, swirl with a knife, add second layer of batter and sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar, swirl with knife * Bake for about 45 min, checking with a knife or toothpick for doneness.

She notes that this recipe doubles and freezes beautifully!

It turned out so good and I was surprised. I kept on telling myself not to get upset if this was all a waste of ingredients. I didn’t have parchment paper on hand so I used aluminum foil and coated it with cooking spray. I also did not have sour cream on hand so I soften some cream cheese in the microwave and added some milk to get that sour cream consistency and it worked! It’s amazing all the things you can substitute when you would rather not go to the grocery store.

Sean absolutely loved it and we finished the entire loaf in two days, just the two of us. I already can’t wait to make it again.
Next on my list is to make some homemade bread! I’ll share how that goes once I bake it.

I hope you all are doing well and are staying safe ♥

6 comments:

  1. This looks good. Why am I awake at 4:00 in the morning because I sleep more since self isolation. I may give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good. I'm thinking of making it again this weekend. Let me know if you try it and what you think :)

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! I would sit there and eat the whole pan. :D
    I'm excited for you to try bread. I love home made bread. My mom makes it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I'm thinking of making it again this weekend.
      I'm excited to try my hand at bread too ... my mom use to make incredible bread too and I miss it all the time.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humble Rays Melb ini berada di 71 Bouverie Street, Carlton. Jaraknya tidak begitu jauh dengan salah satunya simbol Melbourne, yakni Stasiun Flinder Street. Cukup dilakukan sepanjang 8 menit untuk sampai di situ memakai tram no.19, 57, atau 59.

    Ketika ada di Humble Rays Melb, kalian akan merasakan situasi yang tenang dengan menguasai warna putih dan mint. Dengan spot-spot yang menguntungkan, https://galeridunia.com/ kamu akan berasa nyaman buat kongkow di sini. Tidak kalah dari situasinya, makanan yang dihidangkan sedap. sebagian besar makanan dan dessert-nya jadi menu favorite di sini. Tidak boleh cemas untuk masalah harga, karena masih tingkat yang dapat dicapai.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!