Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

{Dinner} Pineapple Glazed Pot Roast


I've been trying to branch out with what I cook. I gave myself this goal that on Sundays I would try to make something new. My favorite thing about doing this is that if I make something new that we both like, then it gets added to meals that I can cook. The more, the better.

I've never made a roast before and I suck at measuring so I don't even bother. I got the idea from somewhere but I have no idea where. I didn't do it exactly from where I got the idea because I never wrote the recipe down. Go figure. I just went with the flow and hoped that it would taste somewhat decent.

I bought a 2 lb boneless chuck roast. We don't need anything bigger because it is just the two of us. I preheated the oven at 350 degrees. Rubbed salt and pepper into the roast on both sides and pushed coriander seeds into the roast. I heated olive oil in the skillet. I then browned the roast, searing it on both sides.



While the chuck roast was browning, I put prunes, pineapple slices and pineapple juice in my roaster pan.

{Honestly, you can go without this step because I didn't even taste the sweetness & the pan had to be soaked for hours. Actually, it is still soaking. But maybe if I do it in the future without it, I might actually notice it ... ok, sorry about that, moving on}


After both sides of the chuck roast was browned, I placed the roast in the pan using the tent foil method to ensure that the meat was moist. And then threw onions in the same skillet. I cooked the onions a bit before placing it in the pan.





When the chuck roast had been in the oven for an hour and 15 minutes, I proceeded to make a pineapple glaze which consisted of pineapple juice, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. I should have added more pineapple juice though.


I mixed it all together and it looked like this:


I then took the chuck roast out of the oven and spread the glaze on the chuck roast and placed it back in the oven for another 15 minutes. I did that step three times.


{Also note that depending on how you like your meat cooked it could take shorter or longer. We like our meat, well done. Just ensure that your meat temperature is at 160-165 degrees before eating}
________________________________

{Red Roasted Potatoes}

I cut them and put them in water to boil for about 10-12 minutes. I then took the potatoes out and completely dried them. I put the potatoes in a bowl and put a little bit of olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper and mixed. I then placed the potatoes in the 350 degree oven to roast. I flipped it to the other side after 15 minutes in the oven.



________________________________

{Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower}

I decided to make roasted broccoli and cauliflower because it's freaking delicious and easy. I cut up the broccoli and cauliflower, put a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and placed in the oven at 450 degrees. I let that sit in the oven for about 25 minutes making sure it was browned.

Everything was soooo delish! It took a while and there is no way I could do this during the work week BUT on a lazy Sunday it is a perfect meal to cook!



The hubs liked it so much. He told me that I am Michael Jackson "Bad." You know it's not a good thing when your husband starts quoting Lil Wayne, but I took it as a compliment. :)

20 comments:

  1. LOL at your husband's comment. Your dinner looks amazing. I bet it tasted pretty good too. I do my potatoes the exact same way. I may have to try this one some time. You can also do the roast in the slow cooker--it comes out very tender. Anyway, can't wait to see more recipes in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to sharpen my skills in the kitchen as well. Can't say I'm doing as well as you, but I am getting there. I tend to like the baked goods...like cupcakes and cookies:) A couple can live off that, right?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Marian: I think you can but the hubs is not convinced and neither is my figure, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faith,
    You're inspiring me to be more domestic. My hubs to be had a cold and I felt horrible I couldn't even make him chicken noodle soup without his help. I love food but am not so good in the kitchen. Thanks for your post I'm going to at least try. He cooks so well, that all these years I never learned. Thanks for this post. Pineapple and prunes must be pretty amazing together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY!!! I just made crockpot Calico Beans tonight, and it was awesome!! This roast sounds absolutely delish, too! And I'm always looking for easy, healthy veggie dishes, and that broccoli and cauliflower sounds awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are getting so good! I'm still making bean burritos! If you could call that making!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwww.... i have to try this! looks super YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you getting your domestic diva on....it looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great!!! It's so much fun getting creative in the kitchen. What a great combination of flavors :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha.. Sean is so funny! But OH this sounds so delicious!! I can just smell the pineapple and deliciousness!! Nice job! I want a roaster!! :o

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks good but I have this thing against fruit in food. It just doesn't work for me.
    I also always fail when i try to cook big pieces of meat like roasts and what not. I really need to sharpen my skills.
    I LOVE roasted potatoes and broccoli though. Always delish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at you cooking a yummy meal! The pictures are awesome! I laughed so hard at your husbands comment...Michael Jackson "Bad." LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Be still my beating heart! This looks AH-mazing!! I too commend you on your kitchen skillz. Mad skillz. :) I'm so printing this out and saving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You go Martha...I mean Faith that looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is right up my alley girl! I LOVE to cook. Unfortunately I married an extremely picky eater, so trying new meals is a real risk. But this roast looks quite tastey Faith!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Look at that GORGEOUS food! Creative, pretty, and super tasty, i'm sure! I'm coming to YOUR HOUSE FOR DINNER! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahahaha! @ your husband. And I'm impressed with your cooking skills! I can't EVER get pork or roast to be anything but bone dry and nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks delicious! My husband loves pineapples! He tries to incorporate them in everything he eats. I will definitely try your recipe next time we have a roast. thanks for sharing! Wishing you the best in 2011!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!