Pages

Monday, January 16, 2017

Just what the doctor ordered.

The weekend before Christmas, I made the 3 ½ hour drive to see Colleen. Not the most fun of a car ride but completely worth it. Although, having Beyonce, Sia and Bruno Mars to belt along to almost made the car ride bearable.

Now that Joey is in the picture, our days of drinking and dancing til crazy hours in the morning is not part of the plan and if I’m to be honest my body just can’t handle what we use to do in our 20s.

I took a ½ day that Friday in order to get to Albany by 2pm to ensure that we would have pretty much the entire weekend together.

We did not have major plans but we knew we were talking each other's ears off. We caught up while she did her chores and ran errands (including a quick trip to the mall that just had me so nostalgic). I danced along during their family dance party, watched Joey have his first experience with snow and had one on one time with Colleen when we went out to dinner and then painted.

That weekend was so necessary. I’ve missed having my best friend just a few minutes away. I miss our trips to the gym that ended with us making dinner (usually pasta dishes, oh the irony) at either her apartment or mine. So many things I took for granted that I see were such important factors in building the relationship we have. I can’t believe how much our conversations have changed over the years. They have become more real and are filled with so much more substance.

Also being able to interact with Joey in person was perfect. When I first arrived Colleen would continue to ask him, “Where’s Aunt Faithy?” and he would put up his hands and shrug. Seriously the cutest gesture! A few hours before I left, Colleen asked the same question and he pointed at me! Be still my heart. He knew who I was and that was probably all I needed my entire trip. She told me that when I left she asked him the same question and he looked around for me for several minutes and then did the shrug.

When I drove back home to PA I felt so refreshed and happy.
Truly any time spent with her is good for my soul.

IMG_1603 IMG_1676

His first experience in the snow ♥
It was going great until he took his mittens off.
He liked it until he didn't.

IMG_1645 IMG_1643

Before our paint and sip session we had dinner at Milanos. I had (no joke) the best pizza of my life. The food we had was just so incredibly good!

IMG_1691
IMG_1680 IMG_1683
IMG_1686
IMG_1685
IMG_1689

After our delicious meals we walked over to Saratoga Paint & Sip and took out our inner Picassos.
OK, maybe Colleen did but I gave it my best shot.

And although I made SO many mistakes it was so nice to just paint. The last time I painted I was about eleven years old. My mom would get us all paper, paint and paint brushes and she would have us copy Bob Ross. I remember so clearly how great my sister, Emma, was at it and me just being plain awful, haha. My mom would actually hang up Emma's paintings because they were so good. Regardless of the lacked skill, I remember loving it so much. Amazing how some things never change. But yes, I am doing this again. I have one walking distance from my house so I'm going to have to gear some friends up to make a fun night out of it.

IMG_1714 IMG_1700
IMG_1694
IMG_1702 IMG_1707
IMG_1708
IMG_1713
IMG_1715
IMG_1718
IMG_1723 IMG_1728

Before I left the following day we had a late breakfast at a small restaurant called "Baking You Crazy".

They do not have a website, unfortunately, but I made sure to pick up some desserts for Sean and I. Let's just say that I'm happy I do not live as close to them as Colleen does.

IMG_1758
IMG_1754 IMG_1765
IMG_1761
IMG_1768 IMG_1770
Yup, just what the doctor ordered ♥

9 comments:

  1. What a perfect trip to be with your best friend. There's nothing better than good food, good conversation, and a night of wine and painting for good measure. So glad you were able to spend some time with Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best friends are the best. This post warmed my heart. When I moved to the west coast there was a huge hole in my heart. Of course being on 2 different coast, whenever we get together we really cherish our time together. I think we are now more aware of how each of us has grown and change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG only tonight i mentioned to Kevin that we should go to one of these painting classes. So happy you guys got to bond. The food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so great that you were able to get some quality time! Joey is adorable and that shrug sounds so cute! I've always wanted to do one of those painting nights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this post. The pictures make me happy. The words make me happy. I have my own Colleen and she only lives 5 minutes away from me. I really need to make a better effort on spending more time together. I'm glad you two had a wonderful weekend together and that you came home feeling happy and rejuvenated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What awesome girl time you were able to get in. That's great. Life changes but it looks like you will be forever friends. I love those sip and paint places. Only been once, but had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like such an awesome weekend! The smiles between you two says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet, BFFs are the best remedy for any down moment. I love that we always see you and Colleen hang out.

    PS - Is that her baby who is all grown up like that. Where is time going?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!