Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2018

San Francisco: Day 1

IMG_3240

When we travel, I usually refrain from taking the entire week (Monday – Friday) off as I like to save up as much time as possible throughout the year. This year, I reached 4 years with my company and received an extra week of vacation! Woo-hoo!! :)

With the extra week, I decided to "live a little" and well, San Francisco was all sorts of amazing. We did as many touristy things that a first timer to San Francisco does and because of that I took lots and lots of pictures. That is obviously no surprise but guess what is a bit of a surprise? I was not alone. Sean took tons of pictures this trip too! It was weird (what came over him?) and awesome! But I don’t blame him. San Francisco is absolutely beautiful. I know this isn’t the word many people would use to describe San Francisco but I’m not one of them. It is well known that there are many homeless people that live on the streets; but being from the city this isn’t an uncommon sight to me. It is probably why it didn’t make San Francisco any less beautiful to me. Unfortunately in big cities this is a common problem, but I don’t think it is something that should deter anyone from visiting.

I want this trip to be well documented here so I'm thinking that I'll share bits and pieces at a time to avoid overload. I’ll most likely share a San Francisco post, sprinkled with other topics, until I am done recapping San Francisco. It’ll be easier on me and I think you won’t be bombarded with all the San Francisco posts as well.

Alrighty, where should I begin? Day one, of course! We arrived in San Francisco pretty early on Sunday and by 11:30am we were checked in & our belongings dropped off in our hotel room. We stayed at Zephyr and although the hotel was decent, I don’t think I’d recommend it. The rooms are small (which was no surprise) and cute but our bathroom had this wet, musty scent that we just could not get rid of. They had a game room downstairs which we really liked & we made sure to play a few games every night before dinner. The hotel does not have a restaurant currently but they do have a food truck which was convenient our first day.

IMG_3195

IMG_3201 IMG_3200

IMG_3196

IMG_3204 IMG_3203

I loved this light fixture!

IMG_3202

We had a dart board in our room that Sean absolutely loved.
Anytime he hit his target you would have thought he won a million dollars.

IMG_3206 IMG_3208

Within minutes of checking in, we were in our rental car heading to Lombard Street to check out the crookedest street. This was the first thing on our very detailed agenda courtesy of Sean. I should mention that the weather surprised us the most. When we were stalking the 10 day forecast, all we saw was rain and clouds. That was a bummer but we packed appropriately. What we got instead were bright blue skies, no rain and weather in the mid 60s. Basically, we couldn't have asked for better weather. I mean, we could have asked for weather in the 70s but when we were expecting mid 50s and rain, this was us hitting the weather lottery!

IMG_3171

IMG_3167
IMG_3185

IMG_3180

IMG_3175 IMG_3182

IMG_3186

We drove down Lombard Street and it was so neat. Sean drove very carefully (5 miles per hour) because the turns were so tight. We ended up getting out of our car that way we could get some pictures (and be up close and personal) and man did my legs get a workout. To be honest, my calves were burning most of our trip in San Francisco. A good burn though!

IMG_3188

IMG_3191 IMG_3192

IMG_3194

After Lombard Street we drove the short distance to Fisherman's Wharf. It is such a lively area with restaurants, shops and street entertainers. And if you're a seafood lover like me, you'll definitely get your fill here! From Fisherman's Wharf we walked to Pier 39 which is so close in location to Fisherman's Wharf. I think I should also mention that the views here are stunning!

We listened to a one man band and he was fantastic. We watched a man perform tricks that if we tried we'd easily break our necks. We also checked out the sea lions which was a big attraction. We did a mirror maze which was tons of fun. If you have not done a mirror maze do it if you're ever given an opportunity. I can't tell you the amount of times I slammed into a mirror thinking I was safe to proceed. I ended up just having my arms pushed out in front of me for protection. Lots of laughs and lots of ooops.

IMG_3210
IMG_3209
IMG_3213
IMG_3215
IMG_3217
IMG_3219
IMG_3228

IMG_3223 IMG_3224
IMG_3227 IMG_3226

IMG_3262
IMG_3241

IMG_3239 IMG_3265

IMG_3242

IMG_3244
IMG_3245
IMG_3249
IMG_3252
IMG_3250
IMG_3256
IMG_3257

IMG_3259

IMG_3261

IMG_3272 IMG_3274

IMG_3267
IMG_3278

IMG_3281 IMG_3282

IMG_3287
IMG_3288

IMG_3293
Our first day in San Francisco was off to a great start!

4 comments:

  1. Loving your photos as usual. I especially love the ones with water/ocean/sea.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the cutest hotel ever! SF is one my all-time favorite cities. You photographed her sooooo well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well despite your room having a smell and being too small, I'm digging it's nautical vibe. I love all things navy blue.

    I love that Sean took a bunch of photos on this trip too. I'm guessing that means he was really excited about everything too. I'm happy the weather was in your favor the first day too. All those hills !!! I'd be in shape in no time. BTW Dominic was sitting here with me while I was scrolling through all your beautiful photos. He was excited to see all the boats and about lost his mind about the "fair" looking thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad Sean was in a picture taking mood. He got some fantastic shots of you that might not otherwise exist! I'm also glad the weather panned out for you because SF weather can be tricky...and freezing! The hotel looks super cute, but that odor would bother me. If I fly from Coast to Coast I am more than likely going to take M-F, but not always doing that is a good strategy for you to fit in all those trips you do. My parents are still in SF visiting my sister as we speak! I need to go back.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!