Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Tidbits about my mom ♥

IMG_8528

I have this irrational fear that as the more time passes, I’ll begin to forget things my mom did, said, her gestures and how big her smile was. If it weren’t for saved voicemails, I believe I’d forgotten her soft but firm voice.

It has become a bit of a ritual that every night before bed, I lay in bed and try to remember little things about my mom to keep her fresh and alive in my mind.

Whenever my mom called me, she’d ask me, “How is my boy?” The boy she was referring to was Sean.

Whenever I would ask my mom, “What’s up?” she would reply, “The sky”.

My mom was such a great listener that when we spoke on the phone, I often thought that our call had dropped because she was so quiet. And when I would ask, “Hey mom, you there?” she would reply, “I’m here, just listening”. It wasn’t that she was quiet, it was that she was intently listening to everything you had to say.

When I would gain weight, my mom would say, “You’ve been eating the junks”. And it always was with an “s” on purpose to let me know, she knew I was eating more than one type of junk. Hahaha.

Every time we got off the phone she’d pray over me. Every single time.

She was such an amazing cook and I truly believe it is why my sisters and I love to cook so much. I particularly miss her fufu with peanut soup and her kenkey and shito so, so much.

My mom would always say, “Don’t broadcast all the good you’ve done for praise, as some things ought to be kept between you and God". This is why at her go-away I was a little shocked of the massive amount of stories that people shared. I was aware of the incredible person she was but to actually hear the stories from so many people my mom personally helped … well, it just inspired me. She gave so much of herself and lived a life that I hope that one day I can say mirrored hers.

There’s so much more but I’ll hold off until another time. Man, I miss my mom.

9 comments:

  1. Oh Faith, this was so beautiful and made me tear up. Your mom sounds like such an amazing woman and I love the things you shared about her. I absolutely love that your mom prayed for you every time you hung up the phone and I think that's something I want to try and do with the boys when they get older. Just a word of encouragement, I don't think you could ever forget things about your mom because you are an extension of her. If you ever feel like those moments are slipping, just look in the mirror at your beautiful smile <3 Sierra~Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both share such a bright and beautiful smile. I'm so happy you have her voice mail and these precious memories to keep her memory close to you. Mothers a truly a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get this! My mom always said, "The Lord Bless you" every time before she hung up and I have one message on my phone from her. When I think I will forget her I remember that she was an encourager. So these days as I'm trying new things I hear her laugh, and her telling me I can do it, I can do anything I put my mind to. Now you have me crying! later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherish cherish cherish those memories. I wish I had a voicemail or more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe Faith. This post made me emotional. She sounds like a beautiful soul- as are you. I know you miss her. Love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely tearing up over here. I worry the same thing with my dad. Sometimes I have to really strain to remember the sound of his voice. I don't have any voicemails, but I do have videos. Sending love, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful way to honor and remember your gorgeous mother!!! She is remarkable and full of wisdom! Thank you for sharing those memories of your mom! ♥️♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs! I'm sure your heart hearts every day but I'm glad you continue to look on precious memories of her that make you smile. This post was so sweet and just another example of the beauty of blogging. You can share these thoughts with others and preserve them for yourself. When you look back on this later you will be so glad you wrote it down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just read this while walking and got teary eyed.
    Sending virtual hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!