Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Puerto Rico: Old San Juan Walk Tour

thumbnail_IMG_3040

On our anniversary day we decided to do a private walk tour of Old San Juan. Old San Juan is simply stunning. Full of lush greens, colorful houses, cobbled streets and innate architecture dating back to the 16th century. At every turn I wanted to take a picture to freeze the moment in time so this post is going to be very, very picture heavy. We visited San Felipe del Morro and San Cristóbal fortresses. We learned a lot about Puerto Rico but I won’t inundate you with all the details since I'm already doing that with all the pictures. But I’ll share one something that I thought was pretty neat. No house or building on the same street is allowed to have the same colored house or building. It’s no wonder that Old San Juan is so colorful!

We started the day at Puerto Rico Café Cola’o for coffee and a light breakfast.
Our coffee was strong and our food delicious.

thumbnail_94FF99AD-1DB2-4DC1-8C18-1F61D1250D43

thumbnail_IMG_2985

thumbnail_IMG_2986

We had some time to spare before meeting our tour guide so we explored a bit and marveled at how big the cruise ships are. We have not done a cruise but after this experience we are a little more keen on the idea.

thumbnail_IMG_2987

thumbnail_IMG_2988 thumbnail_IMG_2989

thumbnail_IMG_2991

thumbnail_IMG_2992

Our tour guide was knowledgeable and easy-going. Our first stop was to the catacombs in Parroquia San Francisco de Asís which is currently a Catholic church, built in 1876. It is considered one of the most important religious structures in Old San Juan.

thumbnail_IMG_2997

thumbnail_IMG_3003

We went to Bastión de las Palmas de San José which is a historical landmark in Puerto Rico and Parque Las Palomas which is a small outdoor area that many pigeons hang out. It’s a great bird watching area but if you do not like birds (thinking of my mother in law) avoid this area. Sean had me send her one of the pictures with the birds and she freaked, haha.

thumbnail_IMG_3012

thumbnail_IMG_3010

We went to Spicy Caribbee which was great and picked up some sauces and seasonings to take home with us.
The owner informed us that they could ship items to us once we ran out.

thumbnail_IMG_3018 thumbnail_IMG_3021

thumbnail_IMG_3025 thumbnail_IMG_3022

We went to Felisa Rincón de Gautier’s home. She was the first woman to be elected as the Mayor in San Juan. She was very popular and well loved. She helped in the 1932 campaign in which women succeeded in gaining the right to vote. She is also the one who created the head start program which is very popular here in the states.

thumbnail_IMG_3041 thumbnail_IMG_3042

thumbnail_IMG_3043 thumbnail_IMG_3044

We went to Cathedral of San Juan Bautista where it is stated that Ponce de León is buried.

thumbnail_IMG_3028

thumbnail_IMG_3030

thumbnail_IMG_3031

thumbnail_IMG_3034

Some images taken during our walk tour.

thumbnail_IMG_3016

thumbnail_IMG_2996

thumbnail_31264D62-77E1-4D95-A067-BA919DAA0835

thumbnail_IMG_2995

thumbnail_IMG_3004

La Bombonera, the third oldest restaurant in Puerto Rico, founded in 1902.

thumbnail_IMG_3005

thumbnail_IMG_3026

thumbnail_IMG_3035

thumbnail_IMG_3037

thumbnail_IMG_3038

thumbnail_IMG_3039

We of course visited the fortress (but didn't go inside because by this time we were hot, hungry and tired from all the walking) and it was great to see all the people flying kites on the green open space.

thumbnail_A4EE9857-85BF-41A3-9C77-861645F02461

thumbnail_IMG_3053

thumbnail_IMG_3059

thumbnail_IMG_3066

Ices were highly necessary considering all the walking we did and the heat that day.

thumbnail_IMG_3027

thumbnail_IMG_3046

When our tour was over our guide recommended that we walk over to La Verguenza Puertorican Chinchorro.
During our walk we had to stop several times. You'll see why below :).

thumbnail_A6CA1C92-7F52-4B06-A073-B1EF9FF4C9CD

thumbnail_IMG_3050

thumbnail_IMG_3052

thumbnail_IMG_3073 thumbnail_IMG_3075

thumbnail_5B385450-957B-4636-9FF9-EB2BF0AE161D

Not gonna lie, I shrieked when I saw this door!

thumbnail_IMG_3085

thumbnail_IMG_3087

When we finally reached our destination (La Verguenza Puertorican Chinchorro) we were glad that our guide recommended it as our food was delicious, the drinks great and our service wonderful.

thumbnail_IMG_3089 thumbnail_IMG_3090

thumbnail_IMG_3094 thumbnail_IMG_3098

thumbnail_IMG_3099

thumbnail_IMG_3102

thumbnail_IMG_3109
Whew, that was a lot of work!
Happy Thursday ♥

6 comments:

  1. That was great. Puerto Rico is now on my list. I think its the food and the people. But mostly the food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You'll love it! And yes, the food and people are incredible. The people were so approachable and kind and the food flavors so, so good!

      Delete
  2. Old San Juan looks gorgeoussss. I bet it cost a pretty penny to live in one of those colorful homes.

    Fresh flowers, coffee, bagels, outdoor seating! SIGN ME UP

    I love the IDEA of a cruise, but I'm not sure how well I'd do on one .. I get really bad motion sickness..

    I'm cool with birds as long as they don't touch me LOL! I always think of that scene in the old-school Mary Poppins movie where the bird lady had them all over her *shudders*

    The cathedral is beautiful. Dominic's school is directly connected to a Cathedral it obviously looks VERY similar to this. (sneeze once during mass , and the ENTIRE congregation will hear you)

    I didn't even know that people still flew kites! Anyway, beautiful photos Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so gorgeous. I wasn't expecting it to be so beautiful! Probably pretty in PR standards but not states standards.

      Why don't you live next door? I can just imagine all the flower, coffee, bagel runs and outdoor seating we would do.

      I don't really love the idea of a cruise at all. That's all Sean. I'm willing to give it a shot but lately with all the quarantines on the cruises I think I'm good for now.

      LOL! My mother in law freaks out if they are feet away from her. She can't stand to look at them, hahaha.

      Delete
  3. My parents have been to Puerto Rico more than anywhere else for vacation. They love it. Looks amazing. Definitely give that cruise a try. After our European cruise I needed a break, because the pace is a bit more compressed and inflexible having only a day in each spot, but if I had it to do over again, I would still have done the cruise. And after having not been on one for a while I'm open to doing another. It can be a really good economical choice for a vacation. I'd definitely recommend trying it at least once to see what it's like. They are fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat. I can completely understand why they have been to PR more than anywhere else for vacation. It is so convenient. You get the advantage of visiting another country and don't have to exchange money and you get to shop at the duty free, haha. But besides that it is truly so beautiful. The food is amazing and the people are wonderful.

      I've never really liked the idea of a cruise but I've become a bit more open to it. But now with the whole quarantines on the cruises ... I think I just might hold off just a little longer.

      Delete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!