Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Things I did right in 2019 & my 2020 Goals

IMG_0167

Things I did right in 2019:

Lots and lots of family time ♥
Stronger relationship with God
Worked out at least 4 times per week
Continued with weekly meal prepping
Reduced our meat consumption by at least 50%
No drink months
Grocery shopped with reusable bags and reduced the amount of plastic I use
Invested in new real estate
Traveled
Reached our savings goal
Less spontaneous shopping

IMG_0165

Now for things I want to do in 2020:

- Start baking (and from scratch!). Anyone who knows me knows that I love cooking. I love finding and trying new recipes regularly. One thing I don't do is bake. The last thing I baked (minus our weekly vegetables) was an amazing zucchini bread that I made once in 2018. This year, I want to try my hand at baking cakes, cookies, breads, etc. We shall see!

- Read more! I had a goal last year and well I failed poorly. I started strong (frigid weather helped!) and then came April and I just didn't do it. I'm going to try really hard this year to get books that I actually want to read and force myself to get back into it. I was the girl who absolutely loved reading and would read 2-3 books per week. I want to get back to being that person.

- Less Netflix. While we're on the topic of more reading I think it is only fair that less Netflix is also added to this list. I'm embarrassed (OK not really) to admit that I watch far too much Netflix. I could be doing so much more productive things so I'm really going to push to scale back on my Netflix watching.

- Less mindless scrolling on social media. I think I don't have to say more than that.

- No spend months. I don't believe I had a no spend month in 2019 which I really wanted to push for. I spent less because I am pushing for more intentional spending vs. spontaneous spending but I want to do no spend months so I'm trying again this year and happy to report that January went really, really well. I intend to have another no spend month in April.

- The travel gallery wall. We were convinced that we were going to complete our travel gallery wall and well, we didn't. Pushing for that in 2020.

- Complete that darn office. We did get a bookshelf and picked up some frames from Michaels last weekend, so we're a few steps closer; but I also wanted to have it looking like an office by now.

- Be more friendly to the environment. I have some good habits in place already like bringing reusable totes to the grocery store each time, air-drying our clothes, very limited food waste and reduced online shopping. But I obviously need to do more so pushing for no plastic straw use in 2020. This may not seem like a big deal but considering how often we are on the road this is something that I can do that can help in someway. I also find that when I make small steps in the right direction it helps me to be better overall.

- Commit to more sustainability in my wardrobe. I’m working on editing my closet in a major way and want to pare way back on purchases this year. I did not shop at all in the month of January and intend to extend this into February as well. I intend to have more no spend months which will in turn result in less shopping. This year I’d like to be much more intentional with my spending overall and want to work to prioritize buying less fast fashion and shop at retailers that are more sustainable.

What are some goals that you are working towards this year?
Any tip(s) you can give me (especially the environmental one) would be greatly appreciated.

6 comments:

  1. Good job on things you did right in 2019. I did none of that. LOL Also, good for you on reducing your meat consumption. I need to find alternatives for protein. I feel like if I don't eat it with my meals i carb-o-load.

    Let me know how the baking goes! I'm lucky if I even cook these days. UGH.

    Reading more is always a big thing for me too, because I enjoy it. I think because we are computers literally all day at work, or looking at our phones, we just as a whole don't have the mental capacity for it sometimes.

    I'm glad no spending went well in January. I need to do intentionally spending (and eating) as well. Good for you on wanting to be more enviornmentally friendly. I can honestly say I NEVER think about it (I should). I don't buy clothes as much as I used to, but I work from home, so it's yoga pants all day everyday. If anything I NEED to purchase more "normal" clothes. Great goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you like mushrooms or beans but if you do they are both great alternatives for protein. When I have mushrooms in a dish I don't miss meat at all.

      The baking isn't going great so far. I realize now that if I bake the stuff I'll most likely eat it too ... and well, I don't think I need any cakes and cookies in my diet, lol. Maybe I'll do bread instead because I can't live without bread.

      Completely agree about the reading thing. I'm trying to push myself to read at least one hour a day and I find that if I'm really enjoying the book I read well over the hour.

      Delete
  2. We are reading American Dirt for my Bookclub; but I also recommend an American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendations! I hope you have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  3. I want to be the reader I used to be as well. I blame screens and mindless scrolling, but that is my fault as well. Like you, I'm over the screen addiction and need to do much better. In california they no longer give you grocery bags at the store, so I've gotten used to bringing re-usables but I admit I didn't do it until I had to so good on you for making the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just so easy to mindlessly scroll after a long day at work. Sometimes just the thought of using my brain after work makes me tired, haha.

      That's so great. I hope that PA gets the memo soon. Some stores in PA give you five cents if you bring in your own bag so I think that's a great incentive.

      Delete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!