Pages

Friday, December 29, 2017

Christmas weekend 2017

I love the way Christmas fell on a Monday this year. I was able to spend time with my in-laws and still have Christmas with just Sean. It’s really important to make and keep some traditions between Sean and myself, just as it is to be with our families.

This Christmas weekend, we drove to upstate New York early Friday afternoon. When we arrived we quickly dropped off our things and were out the door with Sean’s parents, niece and nephew. We needed to pick up some food for Saturday night’s dinner and we had a blast while doing so. Who would have thought grocery shopping could be so fun?

When we returned from the grocery store, we settled in quickly and began watching movies, stuffing our faces and drinking wine. We watched “The Giver” on Netflix and I absolutely loved it. If you haven’t already seen it, I recommend that you do.

The following morning it was so nice to wake up leisurely. I took my time getting up and when I could lounge no more I began to get ready. A few hours later we exchanged gifts with Sean’s family and then I began to prepare Christmas dinner for 16 people. Every year (except for last year) I make lasagna for Christmas dinner but it was the first time making it for more than Sean’s immediate family. I didn’t think I would be ready by dinner time but with Sean’s assistance dinner was ready right on time. It was such a nice gathering. I loved looking around and seeing everyone so happy and the sounds of laughter that filled the room was such a bonus.

IMG_2283 IMG_2280

IMG_2251

IMG_2257 IMG_2285

IMG_2268

IMG_2294 IMG_2288

IMG_2295

I decided on a new tradition to do with my niece and nephew so I brought out the gingerbread house kit and we began to decorate it. It was my first time decorating a gingerbread house and I had such a good time doing it with my niece and nephew. My mother in law was in charge of placing mistletoes randomly around the house and it was just a neat experience. I enjoyed seeing how much my niece and nephew got into and I’m looking forward to doing this with them every year from now on.

IMG_2314 IMG_2316

It came out pretty good, right?!

IMG_2317 IMG_2319
IMG_2320 IMG_2321

IMG_2328

And in the daylight.

IMG_2344 IMG_2346
IMG_2347 IMG_2350

IMG_2343

The following day (Christmas Eve) we were back on the road to Pennsylvania. When we reached home we took long naps and I gotta tell you there is nothing like sleeping in your own bed. We woke up and made it to Christmas Eve service. After service, we took a little drive to check out the SteelStacks lit up for Christmas. Excuse the extremely dark images but taking pictures at night is not the easiest. After that, we picked up our Chinese takeout to continue our Christmas Eve tradition of Chinese food takeout, wine, opening and exchanging of gifts and of course, Christmas movies.

IMG_2402

IMG_2408 IMG_2409

IMG_2403
IMG_2414

IMG_2420 IMG_2418 IMG_2421

IMG_2388 IMG_2393

IMG_2390

Izabella enjoying her new bed and festive bone.

IMG_2427

IMG_2435 IMG_2436

IMG_2439
IMG_2441

IMG_2450 IMG_2458

The following morning (Christmas Day), we woke up to realize that snow had fallen, what a nice surprise. I made cinnamon buns while Sean made delicious hash browns and scramble eggs. We enjoyed breakfast with a hot cup of coffee with the perfect view of the Christmas tree. I saved my two favorite Christmas movies for last; The Holiday and Love Actually.

For dinner, Sean grilled (yes, grilled, outside in the cold!) chicken and we just enjoyed the rest of Christmas day. It was such a relaxing weekend and I loved waking up in our home on Christmas Day as I haven’t done it in years. I can’t say it will always be like this because it’s just the way Christmas fell this year, but I loved every minute of it.

IMG_2460
IMG_2487

IMG_2523 IMG_2502 IMG_2565

I hope you all had wonderful Christmas celebrations with the ones you love!
Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy New Year! ♥

4 comments:

  1. What a great Christmas celebration! I love seeing all of the smiles and fun moments. Your houses came out sooo good!! We are hoping to perfect ours over the years lol. I haven't seen the Giver yet but now it's on my list. I love the traditions you and Sean keep but still work in family time. Wishing you a very Happy New Year, Faith!!! Sierra~Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that it fell on a Monday too. I even took the following day off just to organize. I think it's sweet that you and Sean keep your own traditions. I tried to make separate traditions for Dom and I, but by the time we were done with family obligations, it felt like too much.

    I can't believe you made lasagna for 16 people!!! (I can't believe you drive that far and still cook!) I'll have to check out The Giver.

    Your gingerbread houses look lovely. I tried to make one with Dominic... and it collapsed in the car on our way home from my friends house.

    Your pictures were lovely, and all the food you listed off has me hungry AF. LOL... I've never seen The Holiday or Love Actually either (adding that to my list too).

    I'm glad you loved every minute of your Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that Christmas fell on a Monday too. It made the weekend extra long. Although I planned poorly and should have taken Tuesday off as well.

    I'm glad you had a wonderful Christmas! And here's to the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you got to celebrate with Sean's family and with just yourselves.
    The white Christmas was a beautiful surprise.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!