Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"Back in the Day" Tuesday

It's Tuesday! You know what that means ... Blast from the Past! OK, corny. I apologize.

Today, I decided to just give a bit of a background that way it will be easier to follow along in the near future.

My parents are from Ghana, Africa. My dad came to America for the "American Dream". He came to America with only $100 in his pocket. He worked hard and went to school. When he was settled with a job and apartment, he arranged for my mother to come to America as well. Not too long after he received his PHD in Engineering. He likes to be called "Dr", haha. My mother was a SAHM and this was a huge blessing. I didn't realize this at the time but it was!

I always felt growing up that I was living in The Bronx but was being raised in Africa. My sisters and I were a little strange in school because we didn't talk the same way as the other kids. When we had to use the bathroom in school we called it the "water closet". You want your kids to be made fun of in school??? Tell them that the bathroom is called a "water closet". Tell them that Manhattan is pronounced "Manhattin" and that sleepovers is not meant to be done at other people's home.

What else haven't I shared? Oh yes, my dad is a bishop and my mother is a pastor. I have 3 sisters, no brothers. That was fun only when you didn't have to use the bathroom or didn't have plans to wear a shirt that mysteriously went missing that same day.

Now that you know a little bit about my background I think that "Back in the Day" Tuesday might make a little more sense.

Until next Tuesday.

10 comments:

  1. I loved hearing about your family story. My Grandma & Grandpa came to the US via Italy and I was always intrigued by their stories.

    And I didn't know you grew up in the Bronx?! So did my dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this. for me it's always a WC. and i pronounce it like the germans do haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute story =) I LOVE GTKY posts like this one - can't wait for the next

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL @ water closet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing so much about your family background! I love learning about my blogging buds, and your life sounds so interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this segment! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really inspiring about your dad and the American dream! Sounds like you had an interesting childhood!

    PS you should still try a Beergarita even if you don't like beer i think you would still like it :)

    XOXO

    http://lovejennyxoxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a really cool background. That's great that your parents were able to acheive their dream.

    I like water closet, that's cute.

    And if you have any recipes from Ghana, oh please do share :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!