Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Ghana: Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park, Independence Arch & Skybar 25

IMG_1833

On our last full day in Ghana, we visited Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park where he and his wife (Fathia Kkrumah) are buried. Growing up, my parents talked about Dr. Kwame Nkrumah so much. Dr. Nkrumah was the first Prime Minister and President of Ghana and led the Gold Coast (now known as Ghana) to independence from the British in 1957. To put things in perspective as to how young Ghana really is ... my dad is older than Ghana.

I knew that I had to visit his Memorial Park while I was in Accra. He is a legend in Ghana and I couldn't help but feel an immense amount of pride touring his museum and reading about all that he accomplished to help make Ghana what it is today. There is a museum on the site that has tons of interesting tidbits about Dr. Kwame and although you are unable to take pictures in the museum it is definitely worth a visit.

His statue had actually been decapitated which is the reason why only his head is in the below picture.

IMG_1859 IMG_1862

IMG_1868

IMG_1864

IMG_1869

IMG_1866

IMG_1871 IMG_1872

IMG_1876

IMG_1885 IMG_1886

After that we toured the Independence Arch which I believe go hand
in hand with visiting Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park.

IMG_1821

IMG_1825 IMG_1828

IMG_1822

IMG_1832

IMG_1836

IMG_1823

IMG_1835

IMG_1837

We also checked out the Black Star Square where Sean was approached by a teacher who told him that his students wanted to take a picture with him; and if he would allow it. It was honestly the sweetest and cutest thing I’ve seen in a while. After I snapped the pictures all of the kids (one by one) gave Sean high fives and the biggest smiles. As is customary whenever a trip ends we ask the other what their favorite memory of the trip was. I’m sure you know what Sean’s response was.

IMG_1814

IMG_1841

IMG_1843

IMG_1845

IMG_1838

IMG_1819

IMG_1816 IMG_1856

After our exploring was done we went back to our hotel to relax by the pool.
Peanuts and plantain chips are my new jam.

thumbnail_4C6396C2-FC05-4F39-B9D4-9FC0C002B0A4

For dinner, we went to Skybar 25 which is a gorgeous roof top restaurant. It turns into a nightclub on the weekends and I heard it’s really good. Unfortunately we were not able to experience it as we left Ghana on Friday. Duly noted for our next trip to Ghana.

thumbnail_IMG_1288

thumbnail_IMG_1282 thumbnail_IMG_1284

thumbnail_IMG_1285 thumbnail_IMG_1279

After dinner we went back to FatFish and had a few drinks before calling it a night.

thumbnail_IMG_1290

thumbnail_IMG_1291

The following morning we slept in and then went to Marina Shopping Mall and had lunch. It was here that I made the observation that we had only seen Burger King and KFC whilst in Ghana. I love that fast food is so limited here.

Accra has also expanded since the last time I visited and it was awesome to see all the new businesses being built.

IMG_1890 IMG_1894

While in Ghana, I noticed that there were two things I always wanted to see. A baby wrapped to its momma's back or anyone leveling anything above their head. It was pure happiness whenever I saw both at one time. On our last day in Ghana I finally got up the courage to ask to take a picture and it's one of my most favorite pictures of the trip.

IMG_1895

After exploring for a little bit we went back to the hotel to relax by the pool. We were flying out in several hours so the front desk was holding on to our luggage. We were even invited to attend a complimentary cocktail hour by the staff which was really nice and so unexpected. I can't say it enough but the service at the Accra Marriott was top notch.

IMG_1903 IMG_1897

IMG_1911 IMG_1913

Before we said our final goodbyes, I made sure to take a few pictures of the art all around the hotel. As I’ve gotten older I’ve really begun to appreciate art and can seriously sit and stare for as long as I’m allowed.

IMG_1909

IMG_1906

IMG_1907

IMG_1908

This trip to Ghana was simply amazing and I cannot wait to go back. Sean loved it so much too so I know this will be a trip that we'll continue to take more over the years. I can't really put into words how much this trip meant to me so I'll just hold it close to my heart and just be grateful that I was able to experience it the way I was.

I hope you're all having a wonderful week! Happy Thursday! ♥

6 comments:

  1. I'm mildly baffled on how it was that the British STILL had Ghana all the way until 1957 ... My dad is older than Ghana technically too than. Crazy.

    The memorial and the tomb are both beautiful places.

    It's cute they wanted a photo with Sean- Why did they want a photo with him?

    Were you able to send the teacher the photos?

    The night club looks amazing - YES you will have to go the next time you visit. The photo of the pregnant woman with the bowl is beautiful.

    The art IS beautiful. I want to see the pieces you personally bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both! Right so crazy.

      It is so beautiful. Perfect resting place for him and all he did for Ghana.

      The kids were on a field trip and they come from a village where they probably have never seen a white person before. He had his own camera that I used to take the picture so I didn't send to the teacher. But after we got home I wish that I had taken his contact information to send to him.

      It is a GORGEOUS night club! Yes, def. going to do that the next time we go.

      I'll share soon. We're still trying to figure out the frames and where exactly to put them around the house. Once I have it all figured out I'll def. share!

      Delete
  2. Loved your posts on Ghana. Definitely on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to read this! You're very welcomed, I enjoy sharing :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!