Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2018

The Lights Festival

IMG_5753

March of this year, I came across an ad for The Lights Festival which was highlighting the fact that they will be in my area. A few minutes later, I was on their website checking out how to purchase tickets and looking for what date the event was. Tickets were not yet available so I set a reminder on my phone to get tickets on the day that tickets became available for purchase.

When the day came to purchase and I could finally know the date of the event, I felt even more urgency to get tickets as the date of the event was three days before my mom’s birthday. Immediately, I knew that my lantern would be dedicated to her. I remember feeling so excited when I was able to snag two tickets at a relatively good price and quickly placed it on my calendar.

To say, that this event was unlike anything I had ever been a part of is an understatement. It was incredible. Sean is not one to be impressed by much and even I heard him whisper in awe, "wow, this is crazy" when all the lanterns lit up the black sky. It was the most amazing sight and we’ve both agreed that if it comes to our area next year, we’ll do it again. Sean’s mom and my mom’s birthday are two days apart so Sean’s lantern wished his mom a happy birthday and made a mention of her 3 years in remission.

Now a bit about the event. For our event, the gates opened at 4:30pm and they advised that they’d close the gates at 7:30pm. That was not the case. People were still being let in at 8:30pm. If I were to do it a little differently, we would have arrived much later (field is huge so you’ll be able to get a spot regardless of when you arrived) and would have brought some food/drinks to snack on. Although we knew that we could bring food we figured that we would get food from the food trucks because after all that is part of the fun. Well, the lines were super long and people were waiting for a very long time. So instead of getting food we got ice cream since the line for ice cream was shorter. I love ice cream and was not extremely hungry so it was no biggie to me but if you got there hungry ice cream would not have done the trick. So I’d recommend that you bring food and drinks. The reason we would get there later is because the lanterns can’t be lit until the sky is black and in the summer time that is basically around 9:15pm. We arrived around 5pm and although there was music (not that great if I’m to be honest) and dance games for kiddos to play … I just think that for us we got there too early. Although, I do believe that if you go with a bunch of friends that would make quite a difference as well and won't make the waiting seem as long.

But overall, it was such an incredible event and these pictures truly do it no justice. I wish I could show you the view as I saw it. I wish I could show you how I felt seeing all the lanterns light up the black sky. And I really wished that somehow my mom could see my message. What I do know is that if the Lights Festival comes back next year, I know what we'll be doing! OK, picture time!

This is what it looked like when we first arrived.
People just trickling in.

IMG_5639

IMG_5656

This was the "short" line to get ice cream.

IMG_5643

Mint chocolate chip and cookie and cream for me! Delish!

IMG_5645

IMG_5650 IMG_5646

People watching.
What can I say it's my favorite sport.

IMG_5652 IMG_5672

IMG_5660

More people arriving.

IMG_5664

IMG_5666 IMG_5671

IMG_5689

IMG_5687 IMG_5685 IMG_5680

I have to admit that when they started lighting up the torches I got so excited.

IMG_5721

IMG_5733

And now for the main event!

IMG_5750 IMG_5752

IMG_5753

IMG_5758 IMG_5760

IMG_5767

IMG_5763 IMG_5766

IMG_5762

4 comments:

  1. I love love love these pictures Faith. I bet this was a sight to see! It probably looked like something out of a fairy tale.

    Every once in awhile we see a lantern float across the sky, but they're actually illegal here because we have a threat of wild fires. I would love to go to something like this.
    Your ice cream looks tasty! Next time bring some wine ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It truly was. I could not believe how magical it all looked, to be honest I hadn't thought it would be that beautiful.

      I would def. check and even if it is a few hours away, I would def. recommend a road trip ... you'll love it!

      It was so good. Best ice cream I've had in a while (minus my favorite ice cream from my local spot). And yes, completely on board for bringing wine next time!

      Delete
  2. Wow this really does look amazing! I saw another blogger friend also went to the same event and I could not get enough of both of your stories. This must have looked so beautiful in person and I would love to try and go to this next year. What a special moment for you and Sean to share together. Sierra Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was so beautiful in person! Yes, def. do it, you'll absolutely love it!

      Delete

I love comments ... but only if you're fabulous!